Happy Cinco de Mayo!
In years past, tonight has meant a feast of tacos, margaritas and all the tortillas, guacamole and salsa I can fit into my mouth. Same for you guys?
Well not this year.
Now that I'm Paleo, I have zero desire for any of it. I never thought I'd say I don't feel like tortilla chips and salsa but here I am - not planning on having any tortilla chips or sugary margaritas this evening. I minored in Spanish just for the margaritas so now I feel like it was a waste of money (only kind of kidding).
While I don't want to say "skip the holiday", I do want to offer some healthier options for you to still celebrate in a sombrero and not sacrifice the hard work you've been putting in to change your lifestyle and health.
Quick and easy tips:
- Stay away from tortilla chips - if you're at a restaurant as for them to hold the chips till the entree.
- If you can't hold the chips, put your portion on a plate and avoid grazing.
- If you must have a margarita, drink 2 glasses of water for every one margarita.
- Try to substitute lettuce for your taco shells.
- Use greek yogurt rather than sour cream.
- Skip anything fried.
If you're staying in, here are some amazing paleo recipes for you to try tonight!
Good luck and let me know your Cinco de Mayo plans!